Having finished the petticoat I made a start on the Stripey Skirt to go on top! I followed the same method with the skirt gores, but kept them full length as per the templates I’d cut before.
This was so that I could pull up the skirt in ruches above the hemline of the petticoat. I sewed all the parts together which gave a lovely strong shape of skirt on ‘Berry’:
The hemline is only tacked at this stage, which is why the sewing looks a bit wobbly 😉
I was almost not sure whether to continue with the plan of pulling it up in ruches, because this shape is so lovely. I went ahead with it anyway, since I can always remake this pretty easily.
So far I’ve been handsewing everything as the scale is so small, my clumpy old sewing machine would probably just chew it all up like a chomping metal cookie monster :p
‘Berry’ only measures 26cm (and a large proportion of that is her big noggin!), so you can imagine the scale to sew to is pretty small. One of the tricky parts actually is finding fastenings and embellishments that are small enough, such as supertiny buttons or clasps and microfine velcro… hmm stuff to research.
Next up: Ruches!
- Welcome World!
- Ruffly Ruches!